2/03/11

A card and a little Q&A!

I am stopping in with a quick card and then a little Q&A! I get lots of emails with different questions, so I thought I would put a few together and answer them!

Here is my card for today...

IMG_0039_edited-1

Can you see the faint polka dots on the side? I stamped them in Versa Mark and they are kinda hard to see in the picture! And some more of that Copically altered seam binding! This copic matched up perfectly to Melon Berry cardstock! I didn't color it in solid this time! I left some white streaks for a kind of distressed look!

IMG_0040_edited-1

I also embossed part of this brown paper bag with an embossing folder and then scored a line with my Scor-Pal right below it!  Yes that is a brown paper bag!!  It's kraft colored and thin so it embosses beautifully!  Kinda fun!

So I get quite a few emails asking questions...mostly because I am so bad at supply lists!  Sorry about that!  I am really trying to do better!  So I thought I would come and answer a few questions all in one place! 

The number one question I get emails about, is how I take my pictures! 
  • Do I use a light box?  Yes and no.  I love natural light the most!  If that is available then that is what I use.  If not, I have a foam core light box and I use a lamp for light!
  • What kind of camera do you use?  I have a Canon Rebel T1i.  LOVE.
  • What kind of photo editing do you use?  I don't.  I do have Photoshop Elements but I use my pics SOOC (Straight out of the camera!)...except for cropping and watermark! 
  • What makes the reflection below my pictures?  A good ole piece of acetate..which I don't use much anymore!
Some random questions...
  • Where do you get your Seam Binding?  HERE...a great buy!!  And so easy to make this Winter White color into what ever color you want!  When you color on this with Copics you only have to color one side!  Easy peasy!  I even used my Airbrush system on the ribbon today!  Makes a great soft look!
  • How do you tie your bows?  Practice?  I love having a bow with a nice flat knot!  I have been asked to do a video several times but I know Dawn McVey has a great video on tying bows!  Her bows are always gorgeous!  Check out her video HERE!
  • How do you tie the bows where one tail is up and one is down!  Basically when you get your bow tied, just fold one tail the opposite way of the other tail.  Then put your fingers in each loop and pull tight!  (I was going to take a picture of how I hold the bow and forgot too!  I will do that soon!)
  • Do you make your own blog headers?  Yes I do!  In Photoshop!  It's pretty easy once you have it figured out and I hate the thought of paying someone else to do it!  :)
  • How do you get your impression plates to impress so well?  I was told by my sweet friend Andrea, to mist the cardstock with water first!  I have also recently found out that when I use Bazzill, I get a much better impression!  It's a thinner weight cardstock!
I have to say Thank you so much to those of you who take the time to leave such sweet comments!  I also get some fabulous emails that make my day each time I get one!  If I left any questions out, let me know! 

Have a great day!

Laurie

Supplies all PTI unless noted...

Stamps: Fresh Alphabet, Polka Dot Basics
Paper: True Black, Melon Berry and a brown paper bag :)
Ink: Versamark, True Black
Misc: Winter White Seam Binding, R22 Copic, Silver Pearls, SU Lattice Embossing Folder, Scor-Pal

36 comments:

  1. Hey Laurie this is gorgeous - you've used that beautiful peach and black combo again and I love how it looks even better with the addition of the natural colour of Kraft x
    This colour combo is def' on my to do list !!
    Thanks for the Q & A it's great to get an insight into how other crafters do things x
    ((hugs)) Suzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning card Laurie (as are they all!!). I have just ordered a batch of seam binding - it's so 2011!!!

    Love your work hun, and thanks for sharing your tips too!

    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love that you used a plain old brown paper bag on your project, it looks fabbo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Laurie! I adore that impression on the brown bag! Everything about this card is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your cards. Thanks for inpiring me over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card...paper bag...genius! thanks for all your tips and info!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card and love the Q & A section - sort of like a Dear Abby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brown paper bag!!! Amazing! The embossing and the score line look sooo professional. Having a sneak of MB and those black polka dots just sends it over the edge for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous! I wish I had your style. Loved reading your answers - thanks for the seam binding link! I'm becoming addicted to that stuff!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's such a great card, Laurie! I love it. The colors look great together and the Copically altered seam binding is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for answering the questions and your card is GORGEOUS! Love the colors you chose, very striking. Is that "hello" as stamp?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do I NEED seam binding now too? LOL I mean I already have some but some that I can match to my own desires? Laurie, this is a beauty. I'm so glad to see a supply list and your Q & A! :)

    When is our next get together? Miss those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the texture you were able to get on that paper bag! I have some of this seam binding too but I haven't colored it with my Copics yet. Still on my to do list! The black card base is really striking and makes the melon ribbon pop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautty! I can see the polka dots, they look cute! I love the color scheme and the deep embossing! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card looks simple to make, but it's so elegant! I can't believe that's a paper bag! I like the technique of partial embossing and using a score line.

    I really enjoyed the Q&A. Those are some great tips! Now I've got to order some seam binding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are killing me with your gorgeous embossing! And I LOVE the score mark right underneath...gonna CASE that one from you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not coming to visit you anymore with that embossing folder and seam binding ...... KILLING ME!!! The card is for sure FABBY!!! Love the colors and the versa mark does look so fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and I love paper bag idea ....... I could not write that in the other message because Anton was ringing the doorbell and now ....... he is done :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. really pretty...love the texture on the focal square piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I beyond love this card! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really pretty! LOVE that your focal point is an embossed brown paper bag!! WAY TO UPCYCLE, girl!!! And I love the look of the versamark polka dots too---a subtle yet fabulous detail!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cute card! I love the embossing! And I cannot BELIEVE you don't edit your pictures! I spend SO much time editing mine! Of course, I do have a rather cheap and crummy camera which could explain for the bad pictures...;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a unique color combo! I ADORE that ribbon!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love! Love the color combo, love the design, love the seam binding, love the embossed paper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super sweet card. And really - that is a brown paper bag? What a great impression made into it. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Laurie - this is GORGEOUS!!!! Love, LoVe, LOVE!!!! These colors are so fab together! Thanks for the Q&A - always wanted to know how you got that beautiful reflection - acetate - cool! Thanks so much for the shout out GF!!!! Soooo nice of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how simple and pretty this card is. Very sophisticated! Your work is always very beautiful. TY for sharing the answers to the questions. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your card is soooo striking with the black base. And, I love the idea of embossing a paper bag for the look of kraft. Very clever!

    Thanks for the Q&A. I love learning tips from my favorite blog friends!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful color combo! And there's that embossing folder again - I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've had this card bookmarked on my reader for a few days and I just had to tell you how amazing I think it is! I browse your blog daily and am continually inspired. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful as always! And a big THANK YOU for the Q&A on how to tie bows...... you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just beautiful as always! And THANK YOU for the Q&A on how to tie bows..... you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  33. you're amazing! beautiful card - I will be CASEing this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments! Comments are moderated so they may not show up right away. Thank you for taking the time to stop in!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS